Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Nevermind

Remember that experiment at work I was so excited about on Friday? Well, it turns out I couldn't get it to repeat; and n=1 doesn't count. As I wallow in defeat and self-pity, the quote that hangs on a wall near my bench keeps coming to mind:

"As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life--so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls."

-M. Cartmill

Cheers, M. Cartmill, whoever you are.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...it reminds me of a famous experiment done by some scientists at the U about 20 years ago. Don't remember? Ask Mom and Dad. n=1 for them too. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kath is right. It sounds a bit like Pond and Fleishman from the '80's. Sorry, Dave. I had the same thing happen with my beef stew the other night, if it makes you feel any better. At least you didn't have to eat your failure.

    ReplyDelete